No progress on the house recently as our foundation contractor is running behind. However, we did make some progress on the accessibility front. There are two main ravines that pass through our property and, so some extent, separate our land from the other neighboring parcels. One of the ravines continues to the north, and separates Nate and Krista's lot from Steve and Kim's lot. There is a trail connecting the two properties, but it is rendered impassible by the creek.
We decided to tame the wilderness by building a bridge. Steve came up with the design, materials, and equipment. We provided some of the grunt labor. We had a lot of family in town, so we enlisted their help.
First, Steve drug two telephone poles that he bought off Craigslist down to the crossing. Matt used his winch to drag them across the creek. We lined them up where we wanted them, then we dug small trenches for the poles to rest in so that the top of the bridge would be flush with the ground.
Once the poles were set in the ground, leveled, and spaced correctly, we laid 2x6 boards 6' ft long across the bridge. We had a pretty good fire brigade set up for this part of the operation.
The nailing was pretty hard work. Fortunately, we had a lot of people standing around to cheer us on. Matt came to the rescue with a 5 lb sledge and helped finish them off.
Once we were finished, we decided to quality check our work. For the maiden crossing, we opted to get both mules on the bridge, loaded with passengers, just to show how confident we were in our work.
|Daily Stats||Hours Worked|
Summary of 5/26/2014
|Work Done Today|
Built bridge across tractor trail to Nate's lot
|Materials Used Today|
2 telephone poles, 2x6 boards
|Who Helped Today|
Steve, Matt, Darwin, Nate, Max, Reed
|Contractors On Site|